:: Re: [DNG] random sudden stops
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] random sudden stops
On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 09:16:06PM -0400, william moss via Dng wrote:
> On 8/25/21 8:10 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > For the past few months my home server (running an ascii installation
> > physically moved from another computer) has been suddenly stopping all
> > processing about once a month. apparently at random. It seems to stop
> > instantly, leaving power on and becoming completely responsive to ping,
> > existing ssh connexions and use of the physical keyboard.
> >
> > The system log, after a reboot, shows nothing unusual except of course
> > that there are no log entries for a shut-down.
> >
> > Can anyone provide ideas about tracking this down?
> >
> > It could of course be a random rare intermittent hardware error.
> >
> > -- hendrik
> >
> I had the same problem on a work station running ASCII. Since I could
> access the system from another machine on the LAN and even log in, I
> guessed that it was Xorg. Killing X Via a remote login cleared the
> problem. With the use of sar and other tools, I determined it was the
> video card and/or NVIDIA's drivers (kernel modules). Switched back to
> the system board's video (AMD) and the problem went away.

Not running X on this machine. Just have the usual text consoles on
cntl-alt-F1 through F6.

Don't have a separate video card either.

When the machine stops I cannot access it by network. Even existing
connexions stop working. Being ext4 with full journalling, the file
system is safe.

If it's video drivers, maybe upgrading to beowulf will clear it out? Who
knows? It's probably time to do that anyway.

There is, I su[[ose, a slight chance that the specific installation of
ascii I had on the hard drive I moved from another machine isn't quite
compatible with the hardware I have now. But they're both AMd64
processors of comparable vintage.

-- hendrik