:: Re: [DNG] random sudden stops
Author: william moss
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] random sudden stops
On 8/25/21 8:10 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> For the past few months my home server (running an ascii installation
> physically moved from another computer) has been suddenly stopping all
> processing about once a month. apparently at random. It seems to stop
> instantly, leaving power on and becoming completely responsive to ping,
> existing ssh connexions and use of the physical keyboard.
>
> The system log, after a reboot, shows nothing unusual except of course
> that there are no log entries for a shut-down.
>
> Can anyone provide ideas about tracking this down?
>
> It could of course be a random rare intermittent hardware error.
>
> -- hendrik

I had the same problem on a work station running ASCII. Since I could
access the system from another machine on the LAN and even log in, I
guessed that it was Xorg. Killing X Via a remote login cleared the
problem. With the use of sar and other tools, I determined it was the
video card and/or NVIDIA's drivers (kernel modules). Switched back to
the system board's video (AMD) and the problem went away.

Hope this helps.

--
William (Bill) Moss
billmoss@???

    Justice will not be served until those who are
    unaffected are as outraged as those who are.
Benjamin Franklin

    When the people fear the government there is
    tyranny, when the government fears the people
    there is liberty.
John Basil Barnhill