:: Re: [DNG] ..a viable basis for Devu…
Author: AP
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ..a viable basis for Devuan as a hypervisor?, was: libvirt package without X11 and DBus

On 05.08.2021 12:37, Arnt Karlsen wrote:

<snip>
> ..any of you guys wanting to package what you have running?
> To me, this sounds like a viable basis for the bare metal
> hypervisor idea in the "[DNG] Devuan as a hypervisor?" thread.

I like the idea of this, if the DEVUAN type1 hypervisor can be avaiable
as iso - I would use it myself, especially in headless configuration -
no X11, no DBus, no hot plug, no productivity tools in headless variant.
I could then maintain several pre-installed headless guests, e.g. with
horde webmail, or letsencrypt ssl/postfix/ldap/dove/bind, web hosting,
video/audio rtsp/hosting/transcoding, or anything else.

Do I understand correctly, that having configuration variant with QEMU
/X11/vnc is required, since desktop guests configurations will be supported?

My setup is headless and lean, pretty plain. There are several things I
do not have - network and cpu load balancing, cpu numa node affinity,
back up tooling and strategy and apparmor + logging + safety/firewall. I
believe that these things are essential part of a toolkit for bare metal
hypervisor, plus administration scripts or webUI (nginx + lua?) + apt.

The only good thing I have is that my set up is running from packages
out of box, which should be good for maintainers, i guess.

I more or less familiar with scripting for libvirt and back up, but no
meta-scripting for installation, packaging and deploying. I can do lua,
php, perl, nginx, apache, c, make, SQL, JS, HTML, etc.

Cheers,
Andrzej

--
AP