:: Re: [DNG] ..a viable basis for Devu…
Author: Brad Campbell
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ..a viable basis for Devuan as a hypervisor?, was: libvirt package without X11 and DBus
On 6/8/21 1:04 am, AP wrote:

> On 05.08.2021 12:37, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> ..any of you guys wanting to package what you have running?
>> To me, this sounds like a viable basis for the bare metal
>> hypervisor idea in the "[DNG] Devuan as a hypervisor?" thread.
>>
> I like the idea of this, if the DEVUAN type1 hypervisor can be avaiable as iso - I would use it myself, especially in headless configuration - no X11, no DBus, no hot plug, no productivity tools in headless variant.
> I could then maintain several pre-installed headless guests, e.g. with horde webmail, or letsencrypt ssl/postfix/ldap/dove/bind, web hosting, video/audio rtsp/hosting/transcoding, or anything else.
>
> Do I understand correctly, that having configuration variant with QEMU /X11/vnc is required, since desktop guests configurations will be supported?

Why do you even need/want libvirt? I have several machines which run qemu guests just using simple bash scripts to bring them up (and all the bash script is there for is to hold the command line parameters). I like libvirt and virt-manager for configuring and customising the guests, but at the end of the day all that is is a fancy front end to qemu.

#!/bin/bash
PATH=$PATH:/home/brad/bin
qemu -enable-kvm\
-m 4096\
-vga std\
-vnc :1\
-no-hpet\
-global VGA.vgamem_mb=32\
-rtc base=localtime\
-usbdevice tablet\
-cpu host,kvm=off\
-net tap,ifname=tap0,script=/home/brad/bin/wintap \
-net nic,model=e1000,macaddr=52:54:00:12:34:58 \
-device ahci,id=ahci_cont \
-device ide-drive,bus=ahci_cont.0,drive=HDD \
-drive id=HDD,if=none,file=Win8.Debugger.qcow2,format=qcow2\
-device nec-usb-xhci,id=xhci\
-readconfig /home/brad/qemu/docs/config/ich9-ehci-uhci.cfg \
-serial tcp::9090,server,nowait \
-cdrom /media/src/isos/GRMWDK_EN_7600_1.ISO \
-device usb-host,bus=xhci.0,vendorid=0x0403,productid=0x6001 \
-device usb-host,bus=xhci.0,vendorid=0x05ac,productid=0x1261 \
-device usb-host,bus=xhci.0,vendorid=0x04d8,productid=0xe11c \
-device usb-host,bus=xhci.0,vendorid=0x1a86,productid=0x7523 \

If you are stripping the guts out of libvirt, why use it in the first place?

Brad
--
An expert is a person who has found out by his own painful
experience all the mistakes that one can make in a very