:: Re: [DNG] ..a viable basis for Devu…
Author: Brad Campbell
To: Arnt Karlsen, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ..a viable basis for Devuan as a hypervisor?, was: libvirt package without X11 and DBus
On 5/8/21 6:37 pm, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 11:13:06 +0800, Brad wrote in message
> <184151f6-16e3-f59c-1d07-47394f30f4cc@???>:
>
>> On 5/8/21 4:40 am, AP wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> first I thank all DEVUAN people for the pure pleasure of running my
>>> system (since ASCII 2018) without a bloatware.
>>>
>>> This is my first message and I am sorry, that my search did not
>>> give me the answer about:
>>>
>>> maintenance of the libvirt package without X11 and DBus
>>>
>>> Question: is there a way to get the package for libvirt + QEMU/KVM
>>> for headless VMs - when no X, no DBus needed?
>>
>> You can always compile it yourself. I've just checked and I'm still
>> running a self-compiled v4 on my main box. Certainly in the v5.6.0
>> code I just looked at there's an option to disable dbus.
>>
>> From memory I stopped upgrading when they migrated away from
>> autoconf and make. The redhat-isms were just making it too hard to
>> build on older stable debian-based systems, so I stuck with V4. These
>> days it'd be easy enough to use the packaged versions I suppose.
>>
>> Brad
>
> ..any of you guys wanting to package what you have running?
> To me, this sounds like a viable basis for the bare metal
> hypervisor idea in the "[DNG] Devuan as a hypervisor?" thread.

Nope. I did it because I needed to if I wanted the bits "I needed" from libvirt on a Debian version that was pre-jessie.
I still built with dbus, I just had to also build the right version of dbus.

If I was starting from scratch now, I'd install Devuan Beowulf and apt-get install libvirt. I don't get hung up on dependencies and I'm too lazy to want to expunge dbus just because I don't understand it and I'm paranoid (I do and I'm not). I'm still running my self-compiled libvirt because I've progressively upgraded from Debian Wheezy (which is what I compiled it on) to Devuan Jessie->Ascii->Beowulf and it hasn't broken. Because it hasn't broken, I haven't fixed it. It still lives (with all its dependencies) in /usr/local/libvirt.

Brad