:: Re: [DNG] Devuan as a hypervisor?
Author: Simon Walter
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan as a hypervisor?
On 2021-07-31 10:25, yamifag@??? wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I want to install a bare metal hypervisor in my computer to get the
> benefits from dual booting except without the mess that is dual booting.
>
> I'm going to use it for both linux and windows systems and all I want is
> for the vms and their files to be isolated, control over their
> resources, PCI passthrough, and good performance. I don't care for a GUI
> as long as scripts are an option.
>
> Currently I'm between Xen and Qemu, but I'm open to other options.
> Which would be the best option in this case, and is this even a good idea?

VirtualBox is also a good option if you need a GUI for Windows for
example. I find it more performant than SPICE or VNC.

Qemu is an emulator. I don't think that is what you want, as it's quite
slow. Qemu is also has a set of useful tools.

What works well for me WRT KVM is virt-manager.

I only started using because Oracle effed up VirtualBox, but I'm happy
to report that I tried out VirtualBox again a few days ago to access
some of my old VMs, and the nonsense had disappeared in ascii at least.

I don't think you need Xen, but it is a good option. LXC is great for
isolating Linux. They have no overhead.

Best regards,

Simon