:: Re: [DNG] Starting outline for the …
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Starting outline for the DNG Safe Programmer Certificate
Josef Grosch via Dng said on Sun, 1 Aug 2021 14:58:18 -0700

>On 8/1/21 12:50 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
>> wirelessduck--- via Dng said on Sun, 1 Aug 2021 22:43:35 +1000

>>> Just use indent(1) and forget about all stying problems? I prefer
>>> `indent -kr`, none of that GNU styling craziness!!
>>>
>>> https://manpages.debian.org/buster/indent/indent.1.en.html
>> I just spent 2 hours trying out indent. As far as I can tell, -bli
>> doesn't work, and I could find no way to put statements in block at
>> the same level with the block's parentheses. So what I want is this:
>>
>> int myfunc()
>>     {
>>     do_something();
>>     do_more();
>>     if(mybool)
>>        {
>>        do_special()
>>        }
>>     }

[snip]

>> SteveT
>>

>It looks like you are trying to get what was once called the
>Whitesmiths style.
>

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indentation_style#Whitesmiths_style

It is indeed Whitesmith style. I learned it at Santa Monica College's
Pascal course, and when I busted into programming professionally, I
used Whitesmith Pascal so everyone used Whitesmith style, except with
"begin" and "end" instead of braces.

First time I saw the beginning brace at the end of the if() or
declaration was in the Linux world, and I almost barfed. But because
the beginning brace at the end of the if() or declartion was default
for Vim, I started using beginning brace at end.

I still think that for a language that has a begin and end for a block,
Whitesmith is best. For a language that has stuff like "endwhile" or
"endif" or "fi", beginning brace at end of if() is what I prefer.

>Back when the earth was still cooling, 1991 or so, I worked at
>Motorola in Chicago and this was the preferred coding style for the
>project I was a member of. Configuring indent was always a matter of
>trail and error and the docs could be better.  Using a config file,
>~/.indent.pro made things easier. I might still have a copy of that
>file somewhere, I'll look.

I'd love to see it!

Thanks,

SteveT