:: Re: [DNG] ntp setup
Author: Marjorie Roome
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ntp setup
On Sat, 2021-06-19 at 09:31 -0500, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:

> Noticed that my new Beowulf install time was not accurate.
>
> Went looking for a tips page and all I could find was information
> relating to using systemd and or its tools to do such. I know there
> is a way to do this without systemd - - - - - just - - - its been a
> very long time since I've done that.
>
> Please - - - anyone for a short writeup on how to
> install/start/whatever else to ntp without using systemd?

I would recommend chrony as a lighter and more accurate and flexible
alternative to ntpd.

Information about chrony at https://chrony.tuxfamily.org/index.html.
I find no references to systemd. Work fine with sysvinit.

just (sudo) apt install chrony

It works well even if your connection to the internet is intermittent
because you regularly turn off or sleep/hibernate your desktop/laptop.

--
Marjorie