:: Re: [DNG] ntp setup
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ntp setup
Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng said on Mon, 21 Jun 2021 20:04:56 +0900

>If your computer's clock is way out of sync, i.e. more than five
>minutes if memory serves me right, ntp will refuse to sync the clock
>on the assumption that that time difference is on purpose. You can
>easily, and at your own peril, adjust the clock using the `date`
>command with a reasonably close time. At your own peril because some
>programs don't handle large time jumps very well.

My thought on handling that situation is if you have sysvinit, boot to
IIRC level 2, which is network and not much else, and manually set the
clock and run ntpd for a minute, then reboot to the full system. If
you're using runit, you can either use a runlevel, or if you're like me
and don't like runlevels with runit, you can just place
bash;exit
at the beginning of /etc/runit/2 , set the clock and run ntpd, then
comment out the bash;exit and reboot.

You know what might be cool? If the Poetterists insist on requiring an
initramfs, and if the initramfs already runs the network and the DNS,
then why not just put the time check and initialization in the
initramfs? At least then it would be good for *something*.

SteveT

Steve Litt