:: Re: [DNG] [OT] historical note
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] historical note
On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 20:02:35 -0400, Hendrik wrote in message
<20210617000235.sunedmrx24ulcytg@???>:

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 01:29:12PM -0700, Patrick Bartek via Dng
> wrote: ...
> >
> > Jessie was the first Debian version to use systemd by default as
> > the init. Perhaps, something was installed as a systemd dependency
> > that wouldn't have been installed with the new Beowulf computer
> > under sysvinit that carried forward with a dist-upgrade of Jessie to
> > Beowulf. Or you installed something on the old system that wasn't
> > installed on the new one, and that is doing the automounting.
>
> Historical note.
>
> And the first Devuan release was called Jessie because it was almost
> identical to the Debian release with the same name -- it differed
> primarily in that it did not use systemd as an init. This was the
> last Debian relese that had no problems running without systemd.

..say "no major problems running without systemd.", and I'll agree.

..my opinion remains we should have started from Debian Wheezy,
where those first systemd bits were snuck in, but I wasn't
around here when that major decision was made.
I still had not seen Theodore T'so have problems with systemd,
so I still believed my own problems with that, was me falling
too far behind from work with http://groklaw.net/ for about
11 years. As you may see, there were hundreds of thousands of
us doing Groklaw. It was addictive. ;o)

Scenarios always come in sets of three: