:: Re: [DNG] USB mount problem
Author: Patrick Bartek
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] [OT] historical note
Subject: Re: [DNG] USB mount problem
On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 12:32:25 -0700
Fred <fred@???> wrote:

> On 6/15/21 11:28 AM, Patrick Bartek via Dng wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 07:56:39 -0700
> > Fred <fred@???> wrote:

> >> The computer that was upgraded from Debian Jessie to Beowulf x86
> >> doesn't have any "front end" for udisks2 installed unless it was
> >> installed automagically. This computer automounts USB devices
> >> in /media as one of usb0-7. The one I am having trouble with is a
> >> new install of Beowulf AMD64.
> >
> > What desktop was the Jessie computer running before your
> > dist-upgrade to Beowulf? And after? Many times desktops have their
> > own way of handling automounting usb devices.
> >
> > The usb mountpoint as /media/usb[0-7] is contrary to the default
> > that udisks2 uses, namely: /media/<username>/<devicename>. Jessie
> > may have been using udev rules to mount usb. That's the way you
> > automounted external devices with Wheezy at least. Jessie came
> > with improvements. Check /etc/udev/rules.d to see if there is
> > anything there. udev rules should survive a dist-upgrade.
> >
> > If there is a udev rule to automount, copying it over to your new
> > Beowulf computer should work.
> >
> Hi,
> The Jessie computer has never used any desktop/DE. Only openbox and
> xterms. I never installed any utility to mount usb devices.
> /etc/udev/rules.d has 70-persistent-net.rules which has one line
> concerning ethernet.

Jessie was the first Debian version to use systemd by default as
the init. Perhaps, something was installed as a systemd dependency that
wouldn't have been installed with the new Beowulf computer under
sysvinit that carried forward with a dist-upgrade of Jessie to
Beowulf. Or you installed something on the old system that wasn't
installed on the new one, and that is doing the automounting.

Of course, this is all speculation. It would have been nice if you had
notes of what you installed on both systems. Right now, I doubt if
you'll be able to discover (in a timely manner) what's causing the old
system to automount and the new one not.