:: Re: [DNG] package search methods wa…
Author: g4sra
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] package search methods was ( USB mount problem)
On Wednesday, June 16th, 2021 at 1:59 AM, Fred <fred@???> wrote:
> On 6/15/21 1:24 PM, g4sra via Dng wrote:
> > <--snip-->
> > > Unfortunately I am not able to find what package contains gvfs-udisks2-vo.
> > > <--snip-->
> > > apt-file search gvfs-udisks2-vo
> > > gvfs-daemons: /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-udisks2-volume-monitor
> > > gvfs-daemons: /usr/lib/systemd/user/gvfs-udisks2-volume-monitor.service
>

> Hi,
>

> Why does apt-cache search gvfs-udisk* not find these?

Because 'gvfs-udisk*' is not equivalent to 'gvfs-udisks2-vo'
The '*' is a shell wildcard substitution meta-charater.

> Why does apt-file search gvfs_udisk* not find these?

Because 'gvfs_udisk*' is not equivalent to 'gvfs-udisks2-vo'
There is no underscore in the path\filename
The '*' is a shell wildcard substitution meta-charater.

> Why does the package search page on debian.org and devuan.org not find these?

As nobody knows what you entered as the search field.. who can say ?

> apt-file search requires entering the exact name. I may not know that.

No it doesn't, it requires entering part of the exact path or name.

> What flippin' good is it?

Works for me.