:: Re: [DNG] USB mount problem
Author: Fred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] USB mount problem
On 6/13/21 9:37 PM, Patrick Bartek via Dng wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:37:00 -0700
> Fred <fred@???> wrote:
>
>> On 6/11/21 7:05 AM, Patrick Bartek via Dng wrote:

>>> Not much to using it: apt-get install udisks2 and everything gets
>>> set up. I used the defaults. Devices are mounted under /media/"your
>>> username". If you run a panel, the udisks2 gadget shows up there
>>> with additional options. Manual unmounting is necessary, but I use
>>> only a window manager (Openbox) and lxpanel for my GUI, so your
>>> mileage may vary if you use a desktop environment.
>>>
>>> Others have shown you how to access the mans. So, I won't repeat
>>> that.

>> Hello,
>> I still need some help with this.
>> I installed udisks2. The last line of the installation dialog showed
>> what I believe is a warning, maybe of no consequence:
>
> I did some checking -- It's been a while since I installed Beowulf and
> udisks2 -- and I discovered that you need to use a "front end" for
> udisks2 for it to truly automount. I used udiskie
> (https://pypi.org/project/udiskie/) which must be started manually.
> Installing it doesn't automatically set it up to start. I just added a
> stanza to Openbox's autostart script. Since I use lxpanel in addition
> to Openbox, I added the "--smart-tray" option, so udiskie will appear in
> the panel when it's in use.

The computer that was upgraded from Debian Jessie to Beowulf x86 doesn't
have any "front end" for udisks2 installed unless it was installed
automagically. This computer automounts USB devices in /media as one of
usb0-7. The one I am having trouble with is a new install of Beowulf AMD64.

>> W:
>> http://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libb/libblockdev/libblockdev-crypto2_2.20-7+deb10u1_amd64.deb:
>> Automatically disabled Acquire::http::Pipeline-Depth due to incorrect
>> response from server/proxy. (man 5 apt.conf)
>>
>> The udisksd man page says the daemon is started by dbus-daemon or
>> systemd. However, it is not started by inserting a USB device. I
>> tried starting it manually (with USB device inserted) and received
>> this:
>
> It does. You shouldn't have to manually start it. To see if udisks2 is
> running and working, inset a usb thumb drive, and in a terminal enter
> "udisksctl status". The thumb drive should show in the list of other
> mounted devices.

udisksctl does see the thumb drive. The udisksd daemon is running but
it doesn't mount the thumb drive anywhere I can find. It does show up
in /dev as sdb.

>> root@aragog:/home/fred# /usr/lib/udisks2/udisksd &
>> [1] 523
>> root@aragog:/home/fred# udisks-Message: 07:27:15.642: udisks daemon
>> version 2.8.1 starting
>>
>> ** (udisksd:523): WARNING **: 07:27:15.773: failed to load module
>> mdraid: libbd_mdraid.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such
>> file or directory
>> sh: 1: dmidecode: not found
>>
>> (udisksd:523): udisks-WARNING **: 07:27:15.776: Failed to load the
>> 'mdraid' libblockdev plugin
>> udisks-Message: 07:27:16.017: Acquired the name
>> org.freedesktop.UDisks2 on the system message bus
>>
>> If that library file was needed it should have been loaded by the
>> installer. I don't know what to do from here.
>
> Do you have a RAID set up? If not, disregard the warnings.

I do not have a raid setup.