:: Re: [DNG] USB mount problem
Author: terryc
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] USB mount problem
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 13:06:07 -0700
Fred <fred@???> wrote:

> On 6/10/21 10:01 AM, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 08:49:24 -0700, Fred wrote in message
> > <c29c53c9-a79a-e168-245c-fb341f560f4b@???>:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have a new Beowulf AMD64 install and am having trouble mounting
> >> USB storage devices.
> >>
> >> The USB keyboard and mouse work ok. lsusb shows the storage device
> >> is present. The usbmount program is apparently no longer available
> >> and I haven't been able to find what took its place. I have
> >> another computer that had Debian Jessie installed then was
> >> upgraded to Beowulf x86. It has usbmount and will automatically
> >> mount USB storage devices.
> >>
> >> What do I need to install?
> >
> > ..easy now, first find out a few things.
> > "fdisk -l " as root will tell you which filesystems you have
> > whenever you stick something into your box.
> > "mount -v /dev/a_filesystem_found_with_fdisk_-l_ /mnt" will
> > either confirm it worked, or be a little bit more verbose
> > about why it failed.
> > Pile on more "-v" if you want more, or chk "info mount".
> >
> > .."man -k mount " will tell you what mount like things you have
> > installed, "apt-cache search mount " will search for more of
> > these mount like things, e.g. "apt-cache show mount " will give
> > you more details on each search find.
> >
> > ..I'm really a little too old fashion to advice on those new
> > fancy usb key etc automount things. Anyone?
> >

> Hi,
> fdisk -l showed the device to be /dev/sdb1.
> Using your mount command it was mounted and could be accessed. I
> guess this answers my question but I was hoping for some automation
> like usbmount where the device is plugged in and it just works.

Does it consistently appears as /dev/sdb1?
If so, you could try defining it in /etc/fstab. Similar to a hard disk
if it is permanently loaded, or similar to cd/dvd drive if otherwise.

When I insert the little SDcards and load external drive devices, I
usually 'sudo dmesg' and note the device listed at the end, then
/mount /dev/sd'X''1/ /mnt/usb'Y'.

In my case, it is usually i for 1, then j, then k, etc.

Do not forget to 'umount /mnt/cdrom' or where ever you have it mounted
before you unplug or remove it.

Another poster suggested autofs which I found to be already