:: Re: [DNG] USB mount problem
Author: Fred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] USB mount problem
On 6/10/21 10:01 AM, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 08:49:24 -0700, Fred wrote in message
> <c29c53c9-a79a-e168-245c-fb341f560f4b@???>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a new Beowulf AMD64 install and am having trouble mounting USB
>> storage devices.
>>
>> The USB keyboard and mouse work ok. lsusb shows the storage device
>> is present. The usbmount program is apparently no longer available
>> and I haven't been able to find what took its place. I have another
>> computer that had Debian Jessie installed then was upgraded to
>> Beowulf x86. It has usbmount and will automatically mount USB
>> storage devices.
>>
>> What do I need to install?
>
> ..easy now, first find out a few things.
> "fdisk -l " as root will tell you which filesystems you have
> whenever you stick something into your box.
> "mount -v /dev/a_filesystem_found_with_fdisk_-l_ /mnt" will
> either confirm it worked, or be a little bit more verbose
> about why it failed.
> Pile on more "-v" if you want more, or chk "info mount".
>
> .."man -k mount " will tell you what mount like things you have
> installed, "apt-cache search mount " will search for more of
> these mount like things, e.g. "apt-cache show mount " will give
> you more details on each search find.
>
> ..I'm really a little too old fashion to advice on those new
> fancy usb key etc automount things. Anyone?

Hi,
fdisk -l showed the device to be /dev/sdb1.
Using your mount command it was mounted and could be accessed. I guess
this answers my question but I was hoping for some automation like
usbmount where the device is plugged in and it just works. Another
poster suggested autofs which I found to be already installed. I
suspect it is the replacement for usbmount and I just have to study the
autofs article to get it configured.
Thanks for the help!
Best regards,
Fred