:: Re: [DNG] USB mount problem
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] USB mount problem
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 08:49:24 -0700, Fred wrote in message
<c29c53c9-a79a-e168-245c-fb341f560f4b@???>:

> Hello,
>
> I have a new Beowulf AMD64 install and am having trouble mounting USB
> storage devices.
>
> The USB keyboard and mouse work ok. lsusb shows the storage device
> is present. The usbmount program is apparently no longer available
> and I haven't been able to find what took its place. I have another
> computer that had Debian Jessie installed then was upgraded to
> Beowulf x86. It has usbmount and will automatically mount USB
> storage devices.
>
> What do I need to install?

..easy now, first find out a few things.
"fdisk -l " as root will tell you which filesystems you have
whenever you stick something into your box.
"mount -v /dev/a_filesystem_found_with_fdisk_-l_ /mnt" will
either confirm it worked, or be a little bit more verbose
about why it failed.
Pile on more "-v" if you want more, or chk "info mount".

.."man -k mount " will tell you what mount like things you have
installed, "apt-cache search mount " will search for more of
these mount like things, e.g. "apt-cache show mount " will give
you more details on each search find.

..I'm really a little too old fashion to advice on those new
fancy usb key etc automount things. Anyone?

Scenarios always come in sets of three: