:: Re: [devuan-dev] Sources unbuildabl…
Author: Mark Hindley
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Sources unbuildable on Devuan
This issue came up again on #devuan-dev today WRT pipewire.

I ran the same quick and dirty test that I did in July 2021 to get a rough
estimate of the size of the issue in ceres.

There are now about 103 unforked binary packages in ceres whose src
Build-Depends: systemd and are therefore unbuildable on a Devuan system. That
is an increase of about 10 since July 2021. The list is attached.

Really this is a combination of lazy packaging in Debian and the fact that
systemd is so monolithic. There is no reason why a package build should depend
on the init system that is running.

I did have a brief exchange with Michael Biebl asking for a Debian systemd-dev package
to be created. He wasn't completely averse, but it isn't going to be anywhere on
his priority list. There is already a wishlist bug[1].

Even having achieved that, pursuing each case to work out why the systemd
build-depends and getting it changed is there is going to be very time
consuming.

I am not sure this is something we can just ignore, but I don't really have any
other (palatable) suggestions. I am hoping somebody else might!

Thanks

Mark

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/945922

alsa-utils