:: Re: [DNG] attempting to migrate fro…
Author: tito
To: o1bigtenor
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] attempting to migrate from Buster to Beowulf
On Sun, 23 May 2021 09:00:43 -0500
o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor@???> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > > Greetings
> > >
> > > For a number of reasons I would prefer to migrate (this machine
> > > is a server test bed (where I experiment)).
> > >
> > > Following the 'destrucitons' on:
> > > https://www.devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/en/buster-to-beowulf
> > >
> > > I'm totally stuck at:
> > > If you want to use the wicd network manager this needs to be
> > > installed now or the upgrade will fail.
> > >
> > > root@debian:~# apt-get install wicd-gtk
> > >
> > > I have used dpkg and apt to remove network-manager yet every time
> > > I ask apt to install 'wicd-gtk' I'm getting the following (have
> > > removed/purged the installed files a few times too and dried a
> > > reboot to see if I could clear things this way but - - - ):
> > >
> > > $ dpkg -l | grep network*   (pertinent selection)
> > > ii  traceroute                            1:2.1.0-2
> > >             amd64        Traces the route taken by packets over an
> > > IPv4/IPv6 network
> > > iF  wicd-daemon                           1.7.4+tb2-6+devuan1.1
> > >             all          wired and wireless network manager -
> > > daemon iU  wicd-gtk
> > > 1.7.4+tb2-6+devuan1.1 all          wired and wireless network
> > > manager - GTK+ client

> > > # dpkg --configure -a
> > > Setting up wicd-daemon (1.7.4+tb2-6+devuan1.1) ...
> > > Failed to start wicd.service: Unit dbus.socket not found.
> > > invoke-rc.d: initscript wicd, action "start" failed.
> > > \u25cf wicd.service - Wicd a wireless and wired network manager
> > > for Linux Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/wicd.service;
> > > disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
> > >    Active: inactive (dead)
> > >      Docs: man:wicd(8)
> > > dpkg: error processing package wicd-daemon (--configure):
> > >  installed wicd-daemon package post-installation script subprocess
> > > returned error exit status 1
> > > dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of wicd-gtk:
> > >  wicd-gtk depends on wicd-daemon (= 1.7.4+tb2-6+devuan1.1);
> > > however: Package wicd-daemon is not configured yet.

> > > dpkg: error processing package wicd-gtk (--configure):
> > > dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> > > Errors were encountered while processing:

> > > wicd-daemon
> > > wicd-gtk
> > >

> > > This is feeling like a gordian knot at present.
> > > Is there anyone who might be able to show me how to beat this
> > > issue into submission?
> > >
> > > Please advise soonest (grin - - - I am getting frustrated with
> > > this boondoggle!)
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >

> > Hi,
> > You could take a look for inspiration at my migration script
> > that could be found at:
> >
> > https://git.devuan.org/farmatito/migration
> >
> > Use at your own risk. BACKUP YOUR DATA FIRST!!!
> >
> > Ciao,
> > Tito
> >

> Thanks Mr Tito
> I have been following what you have been presenting here.
> Wondering why you have not upgraded your DE list in the code
> (lines 9 and 10) to the list you have in the 'README' as I'm looking

Hi,

migration.sh

# Supported DE's:
# 1) GNOME
# 2) LXDE
# 3) LXQT
# 4) XFCE
# 5) KDE
# 6) MATE
# 7) CINNAMON

README.md

   GNOME
    LXDE
    LXQT
    XFCE
    KDE
   MATE
   CINNAMON

They look the same to me. Do I miss something?

> Wonder - - - - this is a test box. (And I'm a 'gambling' man - - -
> grin) do I just dump the script into a terminal and let it rip?

Yes it should work even from inside the DE, open a root terminal
and run migration.sh

> Is that a bad idea when one has already started the process?

I really cannot say, the script is rather conservative and tries
not to break users's boxes but It is difficult without crystall ball
to foresee what a sysadmin already has done.

One problem I can think of is that if you have already uninstalled
systemd the box will not reboot cleanly at the end.

> Please advise.

I would reinstall systemd and start from a clean debian system,
but as you are a gamblin' man....

> TIA

Ciao,
Tito