:: Re: [DNG] network measurement
Author: mett
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] network measurement
> I've been having trouble using zoom recently.
> If there's a large meeting, no questions I ask can heard clearly,
> even if the meeting uses the protocol of muting everyone else.
>
> I also have problems with short browser delays that may last a few
> seconds to a minute or so.
>
> However, the pppoe connection stays up when this happens.
>
> I've been complaining to the ISP, who does what it can and raises
> tickets with the phone company.
>
> There has been improvement since two weeks ago, when the ppp connectino
> would drop even more frequenty than the delays I'm encountering now.
>
> The problem usually occurs in the daytime, but occasionally in the
> evening.
>
> The phone company now opines that the data rate on the connection is
> barely sufficient for a multiparty zoom connection, and this is because
> of the distance to the exchange.
>

> ****
> Now I'd like to measure what's going on in my system.
> ****
>

> My home network accesses the rest of the world using a Linux box, whch
> also hosts a website, does SMTP, does firewalling/masquerading, and has
> a file server for the LAN. That Linux box is the only thing connected
> directly to the DSL modem, which operates in bridge mode.
>
> What tools does Linux have to measure this, so I can find out
> what's going on in my network and why. And maybe even correlate
> measurable activity with the perceived hiatuses.
>
> I'd be surprisd if there were none, Linux being born on the net.
> (I'd even be more surprised if they were easy to use.)
>
> Maybe I do ned to replace my DSL with a higher-capacity connection of
> some kind. But I'd like to see the numbers.
>
> -- hendrik

Hi

I dont know if they have it on Devuan
but Im using tcpbench on BSD
(which seems to be where the net is
born but that s a different story).

Tcpbench looks simpler and more reliable than
Iperf.

Also a good methodology to measure
is to create a loop and check the throughput.

For instance loop your LAN on the same
pc and check the throughput:
pc--sw--gw--pc
(you ll need 2 nics on pc).

When you are sure your LAN is OK,
you can just ping with different size and options:
1/the pppoe concentrator of your provider,
which is usually the first hop from your WAN address,
2/the next hop
3/the next-next hop
and so on.

If you want to measure with the net
in between you can use a server
where you will install Tcpbench
(would be better to loop through
the net but you will need 2 net connections
for that, which is expensive).

That said, DSL is quite old technology,
according to Wikipedia, the latest protocol
allows 24Mbit/s upstream and 3.3Mbit/s downstream
(those are just standards number, so with overhead
you will certainly get way less).

With such rates, one to one Zoom meeting might be the maximum,
with only you using the connection on your LAN.

I would say upgrade to at least FastEthernet
(gigafiber better).

HTH