:: [DNG] network measurement
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] network measurement
I've been having trouble using zoom recently.
If there's a large meeting, no questions I ask can heard clearly,
even if the meeting uses the protocol of muting everyone else.

I also have problems with short browser delays that may last a few
seconds to a minute or so.

However, the pppoe connection stays up when this happens.

I've been complaining to the ISP, who does what it can and raises
tickets with the phone company.

There has been improvement since two weeks ago, when the ppp connectino
would drop even more frequenty than the delays I'm encountering now.

The problem usually occurs in the daytime, but occasionally in the
evening.

The phone company now opines that the data rate on the connection is
barely sufficient for a multiparty zoom connection, and this is because
of the distance to the exchange.

****
Now I'd like to measure what's going on in my system.
****

My home network accesses the rest of the world using a Linux box, whch
also hosts a website, does SMTP, does firewalling/masquerading, and has
a file server for the LAN. That Linux box is the only thing connected
directly to the DSL modem, which operates in bridge mode.

What tools does Linux have to measure this, so I can find out
what's going on in my network and why. And maybe even correlate
measurable activity with the perceived hiatuses.

I'd be surprisd if there were none, Linux being born on the net.
(I'd even be more surprised if they were easy to use.)

Maybe I do ned to replace my DSL with a higher-capacity connection of
some kind. But I'd like to see the numbers.

-- hendrik