:: Re: [DNG] network measurement
Author: Ludovic Bellière
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] network measurement
On ven, 07 mai 2021, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> [snip]
> The phone company now opines that the data rate on the connection is
> barely sufficient for a multiparty zoom connection, and this is because
> of the distance to the exchange.
>

> ****
> Now I'd like to measure what's going on in my system.
> ****
>

> My home network accesses the rest of the world using a Linux box, whch
> also hosts a website, does SMTP, does firewalling/masquerading, and has
> a file server for the LAN. That Linux box is the only thing connected
> directly to the DSL modem, which operates in bridge mode.
>
> What tools does Linux have to measure this, so I can find out
> what's going on in my network and why. And maybe even correlate
> measurable activity with the perceived hiatuses.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to troubleshoot. There are various
tools around to analyse your network. Here are two such software:

- nethogs:: groups bandwidth per process. Does not retain information,
it's live.
- jnettop:: display hosts/ports taking up most of the network traffic.

Now, it's very difficult to keep video and audio as low bandwidth
without either reducing quality to oblivion or make use of expensive
compression algo. Something will have the bear the load, either the cpu
on both ends or the network. If one or both of those elements are
underspecs, then you'll have some trouble: unable to encode/decode on
the fly and/or unable to download and upload the video/audio streams.

I don't know how zoom function on this regard. Is it peer to peer? Is
there a central host acting as a bridge? How many streams do you need
to download while in a big meeting? And following the last question: do
you need to upload your video/audio output to multiple endpoints?

> Maybe I do ned to replace my DSL with a higher-capacity connection of
> some kind. But I'd like to see the numbers.
>
> -- hendrik

That would be my the obvious thing to do, yes. Which kind of DSL do you
have?

You could also explore alternatives to zoom, like the FOSS (jitsi)[https://jitsi.org/].

Cheers,
Ludovic