:: Re: [DNG] ..are we|Devuan safe from…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Martin Steigerwald
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ..are we|Devuan safe from this systemd backdoor malware, taking our kernels from Debian?
Hi Martin, list,
Martin Steigerwald writes:

> Hi!
>
> golinux@??? - 02.05.21, 22:15:48 CEST:
>> On 2021-05-02 06:08, terryc wrote:
>> > Unfortunately there are systemd libraries installed by
>> > Devuan-beowulf
>> > desktop installation DVD.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> And they are harmless.
>>
>> Why are systemd files present in Devuan?
>> https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1925
>
> No systemd library on my Devuan systems:
>
> % dpkg -l | grep systemd
> [no output]

I forgot about dpkg's -l option, having gotten used to dpkg-query -W :-)

> Also none via locate.
>
> Using Plasma as desktop together with elogind.

No libsystemd0 on my beowulf machine but I did find it on a chimaera
system I installed just a few days ago (using the alpha installer).

Curiousity peaked, I hunted it down and it turns out that my console
only chimaera system installed it to satisfy Depends: for rsyslog, lvm2
and liblvm2cmd2.03. The latter two depend on libsystemd0 (>= 222).

But wait a sec! I've got lvm2 installed on my beowulf system too and
there's no libsystemd0 to be found there! What gives?

Turns out that libelogind0 is installed there and that happens to sport
a Provides: libsystemd0 (= 241.4). On chimaera the versioned dependency
equals 246.10 (as of writing).

So people trying to get rid of the libsystemd0 package might try

apt install libelogind0 libsystemd0-

but IIRC (and I'm relying on *very* vague memory here!) not all desktop
environments will work with that. FWIW, my beowulf machine is running
fine with Xfce.

Hope this helps,