:: Re: [DNG] FSF and human rights
Author: Alessandro Vesely
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] GNU SmartOS [WAS: FSF and human rights]
Subject: Re: [DNG] FSF and human rights
On Fri 26/Mar/2021 22:58:39 +0100 Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> I want politics out of free software.
> [...]
>
> Remember how many voices there were back then against "evil Microsoft" and IE6?
>
> But how many raise their voices today against Chrome?

And IBM before M$...

> Two weights, two measures.

If you mean Google (or just Chrome) is enjoying undue community favor, I
disagree. Google's curve is still growing and the handover to the next actor
is not yet on sight, but some marks are visible. For one, Google doesn't
appear among FSF's patrons after 2016[*]. By now, they reached the evil's
side. Opposing voices are raising, and I look forward for a GNU SmartOS.

If you look at the tangent envelope of all those curves, you see the growth of
software is very strong. It is certainly an economic question. How, then,
could you keep politics off? Free software poses political problems. These
problems are different from those of the previous industrial revolution, but
they are still political problems.

Best
Ale
--