:: Re: [DNG] Opennic - (was: web confe…
Author: Gabe Stanton
To: devuan mail list
Subject: Re: [DNG] Opennic - (was: web conferencing software (was: something else))
Redirecting this thread back to the list. See below q and a between
Steve and me.

On Mon, 2021-03-08 at 09:16 -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Mon, 2021-03-08 at 06:40 -0700, Gabe Stanton via Dng wrote:
> > Oh, and one more thing since you mentioned icann, one thing to note
> > is
> > that opennic also has their own tld system, independent of icann.
> > As a
> > community of operators, they can do that. Of course no one can
> > access
> > their tld's without pointing to an opennic server. Their main one
> > is
> > .glue but they continue to add them. Anyway, having their own tld's
> > is
> > another thing they're doing right in my opinion. If they don't end
> > up
> > being the best solution to the problem, I feel like they're leading
> > the
> > way.
>
> Wait a minute. This could be cool.
> Do iopennic TLDs conflict with icann's, or are they different?

They're different for now, but if I understand correctly there is a
company in the domain name arena that has requested and I believe they
got, a tld from icann that already exists on opennic, thus creating the
inevitable conflict. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out,
but I like the approach opennic is taking, that of not asking
permission.

Edit: I've since found the email thread discussing the company which is
selling domains on tld's that opennic also uses. The company is called
Epik. The situation is interesting and could potentially set precedents
for how independent dns communities, or anyone that doesn't cede all
domain authority to icann, deals with icann and/or the companies that
may cause conflict. The beginning of the thread is here.

https://lists.opennicproject.org/sympa/arc/discuss/2020-04/msg00002.html

> If they are different, couldn't I just add some of opennic's root
> servers to my Unbound root server file, so I can get the TLDs from
> either? How cool would that be?

Yep you could do that. Opennic's servers serve their own tld's as well
s icann's of course.

Gabe