:: Re: [DNG] Any interest in a Devuan …
Author: Gabe Stanton
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Any interest in a Devuan Meetup in Colorado Springs or Denver? (was "GNUPGP Web of trust")
On Thu, 2021-03-04 at 18:47 -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi Gabe,
>
> Could you please be explicit about what you mean by "meetup"? If you
> mean something organized by meetup.com, then you're talking about
> something where you have to sign an indemnification agreement, and at
> least to some extent use meetup.com's communication facilities, and
> get
> a lot of looky-lous.
>
> If you mean meetings without use of meetup.com, it would probably be
> more explicit to call it a "meeting".
>
> From my point of view, meetup.com has inserted itself into LUG
> operations as an unneeded middle man for LUGs without an effective
> publicity officer.

Hi Steve,

Definitely a regular ol' meet n greet, no third parties involved. I'm
not much aware of meetup.com, might have heard of it, but my reaction
would be same as yours, no need for third parties to organize a meetup
or meeting or whatever.

> Anyway, I'm 1500 miles away from Denver, but if it's a meeting and
> not
> a "meetup", I'd like to attend via Jitsi.

This is incentive for me to take another crack at getting a jitsi
instance running. It will probably take me a couple months to get one
working since time is limited and there are many things higher on the
priorities list, but I'll work on that and get back to the list when I
have that running. Once that's running I'll guage interest again. The
smaller the group the less formal it's likely to be.

Gabe