:: Re: [DNG] How to turn off the firew…
Author: Florian Zieboll
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] How to turn off the firewall
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 10:29:50 -0500
Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I could probably web search this, but there's soooo much contradictory
> stuff on the web, and I've been doing nothing but web searching for a
> week now, and probably one of you knows it off the top of your head.
>
> On a Devuan machine, how do I turn off the firewall entirely, so all
> ports are accessible? I need to do this for experimentation, not as a
> permanent thing.

I usually use iptables-persistent to manage the firewall, which is very
handy in your case, as you can have several rulesets and just activate
the currently preferred one by executing

$ iptables-restore < /path/to/ruleset

resp.

$ ip6tables-restore < /path/to/ruleset

For the case I want to "disable" the firewall, I have a ruleset with
only the default rules set to "ACCEPT". Reverting to the previous state
(or any other ruleset) is done accordingly by just restoring the
previously 'iptables-save'd config.

When working remotely, using a terminal multiplexer (or just 'dtach'),
with a simple oneliner script including the 'sleep' command it is easy
to test a new configuration without the risk of permanently locking
oneself out of the system:

$ iptables-restore < testconfig && \
    sleep 120 ; \
    iptables-restore < provenconfig