:: Re: [DNG] Assigning a specific subn…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Assigning a specific subnet and address to a Devuan Beowulf Qemu guest

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 18:39:50 +0000
g4sra via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> [...]

Thanks g4sra,

I tried virt-manager but became disallusioned. First, a look at the man
page told me that although virt-manager can be used without systemd,
systemd is invading. Worse, you can't use virt-manager without dbus. I
consider dbus the ultimate anti-encapsulation thing ever invented: On
troubleshooting, you have to chase *everything* through dbus. When
encountering a "no dbus" error with virt-manager, I found out that I'd
never run the dbus daemon, which is why every time I start LXDE on a
Void Linux machine, I get a "no dbus" error, which I always just
ignored.

Also, even after I ran the dbus daemon, virt-manager didn't work. I'd
have troubleshot it, but at that point I figured if I were going to
troubleshoot anything, it would be pure qemu, because the end result
would be a script that would work every time, not a set of clicks. This
is also the reason I didn't run Gnome-Boxes or VirtualBox.

> That IP may have been issued by a Qemu dhcp server.

Yes.

> The first step is to confirm Qemu is not messing with stuff it
> shouldn't... Spin up the VM and confirm that your host network
> settings have not been altered/added to. You must do this when the VM
> is running.

I've read that tap devices are DOWN until something actually uses them.
But yeah, I'll do an ip link and ip addr before, and after I run the
qemu guest, and do a diff on the results. That should shed some light
on it. Thanks for the suggestion!

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive