:: Re: [DNG] Assigning a specific subn…
Author: Ralph Ronnquist
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Assigning a specific subnet and address to a Devuan Beowulf Qemu guest
On 16/02 07:55, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 20:29:46 +1100
> Ralph Ronnquist via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
> > On 16/02 03:24, Steve Litt wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > My ultimate goal is to have a Devuan VM guest on my Void Linux Daily
> > > Driver Desktop (DDD) that acts like just another metal computer on
> > > my LAN at 192.168.0.0/24. I want it to have address 192.168.0.66.
> > > I've tried to do this sporadically over the past 2 years, never
> > > with success. ...
> > >
> > > I tried setting the VM guest's /etc/network/interfaces to static
> > > with address 192.168.0.66, with the gateway, netmask etc set
> > > accordingly, but after doing that, ip addr on the VM showed no IP
> > > address at all.
> >
> > It all looks fine, and static setup should work. Possibly you left out
> > the "auto eth0" or "allow-hotplug eth0" line?
>
> Thanks Ralph,
>
> I had left them both out, but putting them in didn't change the
> symptom. I tried with only auto eth0, and that didn't change the
> symptom either.

Peculiar :)

Yes, "auto eth0" would be right for telling ifupdown that the
interface should be brought up during (post-pivot) boot, and all in
all /etc/network/interfaces would have the following as the only
configruations for eth0:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.66/24
    gateway 192.168.0.1

The previous setting that gives VM 10.0.2.15 would have been caused by
a DHCP configuration, like:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

or by having some other networking tool such as wicd running. One way
or the other it would have started a dhcp client that requests an
address assignment via UDP broadcast, and something (either a dhcp
service on DDD or on the network outside DDD) responded to offer
10.0.2.15 for the VM.

If that client was a networking tool such as wicd then possibly that
is still running and it now competes about the confgiuration of eth0
with ifupdown. Usually though it (wicd) would be more insistant and
eventually take over, so you should then end up with a 10.0.2.0/24
address eventually, with some period of an unconfigured network.

Ralph.