:: Re: [DNG] tor browser can't see cur…
Author: al3xu5 / dotcommon
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] tor browser can't see current drive
Mon, 18 Jan 2021 16:33:13 -0500 - Haines Brown <haines@???>:

> Whether I install torbrowser-launcher from Beowulf repository or
> download it from www.torproject.org, I find that it insists on
> saving files to no longer mounted drive.
>
> When I browse other save locations, all locations are /dev/sdc, and
> those locations are not accessible. I cannot write to the "save files
> as" field in download preferences. When I set always ask where to
> save, I can set the locationin preferences, but I'm not actually asked
> where to save it.
>
> Some time ago /dev/sdc was mounted, but not used for tor browser. I
> could not find in what file the tor browser configuration is located.
> I have firefox-esp installed, but it does not have the problem.

Hi Haines

I have tor-browser (v. 10.0.8) on my Devuan Beowulf system and I am able
to save downloads in every place, so I suspect something in your setup is
wrong.

Please note I do not use torbrowser-launcher from Beowulf repository, but
the standalone package which is dowloadable from torproject:
https://www.torproject.org/download/
It is *very important* to check its signature before using it.

The advantages are:
- you can explode the standalone package where you prefer (e.g. in
`~/localprograms/torbrowser`), included any mounted disk or usb stick:
all the stuff will stay into the container directory
- when launching torbowser it will be auto-updated if a newer version
is available from torproject (and you do not need to re-check the
signature): you will have always the latest version!
- when downloading files you can save them either inside the
downloads subdirectory inside the container directory, or in every
other place in your system.

Also note that being based on Firefox (which might not have alsa support
enabled) and being self-contained, torbrowser could not be able to
reproduce audio using pulseaudio (this is what happens also on my system,
which is a "pulseudio-freed" area...).
The usual trick is to install the apulse package and to launch torbrowser
with:
~~~
$ apulse <your_torbrowser_directory>/start-tor-browser
~~~
You can also change the torbrowser .desktop launcher:
~~~
Exec= /usr/bin/apulse <your_torbrowser_directory>/start-tor-browser.desktop
~~~

Regards
al3xu5

--
Say NO to copyright, patents, trademarks and industrial design
restrictions!

Public GPG/PGP key: F94CFE23 (4096 bit RSA)
Key fingerprint:    59C6 9DC7 CD4B CF2F A190  E3DE 69C5 977B F94C FE23