:: Re: [DNG] vdev (was: Re: if2mac ini…
Author: aitor
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] vdev (was: Re: if2mac init.d service for persistent network interface names)
Hi Joel,

On 30/12/20 20:51, Joel Roth via Dng wrote:
> While I don't understand your post completely, I agree with
> your point that udev-compat need not be a high priority as
> libeudev meets this need. I understand that without
> udev-compat, vdev wouldn't be able to serve some heavyweight
> desktop environments.

During these days i upgraded the hardware database and also libudev1-compat
leaving it as close as possible to libeudev1. I also added the cdrom_id
binary required
during live sessions after jessie. On the other hand, i defined a
separate config
file with a minimal amount of actions for vdev during the load of the
temporary root
filesystem (initrd) and the subsequent first stage of runit. Thus, the
boot time has been
improved a lot (~30 sec between the grub splash and the login screen is
not so bad, but
it's still a bit high in comparison with eudev).
> I think that's okay, because Probably most potential users
> of vdev will be using a lightweight window manager or even
> just console. I think serving that group will be a good
> place to start.

Images of gnuinos openbox with vdev for testing purposes are available at:

https://www.gnuinos.org/Beowulf/ <https://www.gnuinos.org/Beowulf/>

> Also, while a database for fast startup would be great,
> enabling it to work at all would be a good first step.
>
> Eventually some sort of write-up about vdev comparing it to
> mdev, udev, eudev might help getting the word out. (I'd
> help with that.)
>
> Thanks for all your work!

One thing i would like to do is to extend the vdev_preseed_run function
to unlimited
output buffer space (actually limited to 1MB).

Cheers,

Aitor.