:: Re: [DNG] vdev (was: Re: if2mac ini…
Author: o1bigtenor
To: Steve Litt
CC: Devuan ML
Subject: Re: [DNG] vdev (was: Re: if2mac init.d service for persistent network interface names)
On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 4:34 PM Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 09:51:33 -1000
> Joel Roth via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

snip
> One question: How does your above statement hold up when Wayland
> becomes the law of the land?

Greetings

>From what little I"ve been able to discern about Wayland I really hope that

it doesn't become the law of the land.
(<rant on)
I will admit that I"m downright weird - - - - I have 2 graphics cards and
presently 4 monitors with the 5th sitting waiting for time to install.
One of my cards is old enough so that I run nouveau instead of any
proprietary option (the card is EOLed!). I first set up this system in
the beginning of 2011 and really struggled to find useful information
to run this multi-monitor setup. There is a tiny bit of information that
is available since the initial setup but very little which tells me that
running multi-gpu and multi-monitor is highly unusual in the linux
community. I just finished yesterday a project where I actually was
needing to use all 4 monitors (all the screen real estate) and I still found
myself wishing for more. For setup after any boot or reboot I use
xrandr using notes from what I was able to find (xrandr is very terribly
exampled and the notes are adequate but really do need a lot of
experimenting - - - - which is not comfortable for most!!) better
develop for myself.

Spent a little time just now doing some searching and it seems that
multi-gpu and serious multi-monitor (more than 2) is now considered
to be the province of gamers. I don't really play any games - - - I have
too much fun just using software on my system - - - - but then I'm a
business man and self-employed and that means, by definition, that
I'm weird. I am working with software in a very wide range of things,
from CADD to CAM (that very little at present), to spreadsheets, to
starting to work in self designed software supporting equipment that
I'm fabricating and a bunch of other things. To date I've been mostly a
software user but am starting on becoming a software developer
because in certain areas software just isn't adequate. In the software
using I've found myself pushing the envelope because I combine things
in ways that seem to all too often be non-customary.

So - - - to draw the circle a little closer to closed - - - - what I see in
Wayland doesn't enthuse me one iota - - - multi-gpu and serious i
multi-monitor stuff is really still considered 'weird' and that means
that its not really supported and if there is some support - - - - its
called good luck finding it. (Most of the information on the web for
xrandr is for version 1.3 (meaning version 3) or earlier yet I have found
a hint that version 1.6 is immanent but I can't really find any information
on what is proposed.)

(>rant off)