:: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
Le 13/12/2020 à 00:01, Ralph Ronnquist via Dng a écrit :
> On 12/12 23:22, Antony Stone wrote:
>> On Saturday 12 December 2020 at 23:11:25, Ralph Ronnquist via Dng wrote:
>>
>> 1. Why is this so totally different from what I could previously do using
>> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules under jessie and earlier releases?
>>
>> 2. https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkInterfaceNames clearly says that if you
>> upgraded a machine from jessie to stretch and to buster (which for these
>> purposes I regard as the same as jessie to ascii to beowulf), then it will
>> continue to work as before, so - what is the difference between doing those
>> upgrades, and doing a fresh buster / beowulf installation? What needs to be
>> changed on a beowulf machine to make it work the same as a jessie machine
>> upgraded to ascii, upgraded to beowulf?
> If it worked for you previously then, a) there would have been rules
> for double renaming, and b) any network management would have kicked
> in late enough to let name fiddling happen before bringing up the
> interfaces. As you know, one of the joys with parallel boot is the
> random effects of things happening in parallel.

    Parallelism might be the issue. In the past, when the first
interface was discovered by the kernel and named eth0, then Udev would
immediately rename it, either to the same name if it matches the rule,
or to ethX which still doesn't exist, then freeing the name eth0, and so
on. The problem may now be that two interfaces are discovered
simultaneously.

--        Didier