:: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
On Sunday 13 December 2020 at 00:01:06, Ralph Ronnquist via Dng wrote:

> On 12/12 23:22, Antony Stone wrote:
> >
> > 1. Why is this so totally different from what I could previously do using
> > /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules under jessie and earlier
> > releases?
>
> If it worked for you previously then, a) there would have been rules
> for double renaming,

Please point me at where I should find these.

I only know that /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules was the *only* file
I needed to edit if I wanted to rearrange the naming of the interfaces under
Jessie or earlier.

> and b) any network management would have kicked
> in late enough to let name fiddling happen before bringing up the
> interfaces. As you know, one of the joys with parallel boot is the
> random effects of things happening in parallel.

I thought "parallel boot" was one of the evils that systemd was designed to
bring in. In what way does Devuan do "parallel boot"?

> The default installation (unfortunately?) have wicd as player to
> provide networking randomness, but network-manager is good at it too.

I have neither of those installed on the machines in question.

Antony.

--
Perfection in design is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but
rather when there is nothing left to take away.

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.