:: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
On Saturday 12 December 2020 at 23:11:25, Ralph Ronnquist via Dng wrote:

> It really isn't that hard:
>
> when the kernel starts it will give its default names to the
> interfaces as ethN numbering them in order it initializes them. In
> your case it will use the names eth0, eth1 and eth2 that get assigned
> in whatever time order the kernel discovers them in.
>
> Eventually(!) the hotplug handler (udev) kicks in to process your
> rules, and at that time there are three interfaces named eth0, eth1
> and eth2, so it will be impossible to make, say, the eth2 interface
> get the name eth0 without first making the eth0 interface be named
> something else. It would here be nice with a name *swapping* program,
> but there is none.

It used to work, with udev and the rules.d files.

> So, if you are not happy with those names being used the way they are
> by the kernel, then you will have to arrange it to name them all
> twice: first to some other name series (eg en0, en1, en2) and
> thereafter back onto the original name series (eth0, eth1, eth2) on
> the basis of some other adapter property (eg macadress).

I think you have given an excellent description of what is going on.

1. Why is this so totally different from what I could previously do using
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules under jessie and earlier releases?

2. https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkInterfaceNames clearly says that if you
upgraded a machine from jessie to stretch and to buster (which for these
purposes I regard as the same as jessie to ascii to beowulf), then it will
continue to work as before, so - what is the difference between doing those
upgrades, and doing a fresh buster / beowulf installation? What needs to be
changed on a beowulf machine to make it work the same as a jessie machine
upgraded to ascii, upgraded to beowulf?

And, of course, finally:

3. Once /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules no longer works at all under
Chimaera, what is the correct / official way of getting interfaces named as you
want them, according to their MAC addresses?

Thanks,

Antony.

--
I bought a book about anti-gravity. The reviews say you can't put it down.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.