:: Re: [DNG] What I learned at Distrow…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What I learned at Distrowatch
On Tue, Dec 01, 2020 at 09:59:01AM -0500, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 01, 2020 at 03:33:41PM +0100, Antony Stone wrote:
>
> > What, specifically, gets installed as part of Devuan which you don't want to
> > see there?
>
> As an exercise, try doing a minimal install via debootstrap, which is
> arguably the easiest way to tailor an install. I've thus far not managed to
> get an install through without elogind creeping in, even if I explicitly
> mark it as something to ignore. The Devuan live media I use for installs
> runs elogind. It sort of reminds me of the Agent Smith virus speech from
> The Matrix.
>

> > libsystemd0 is a stub library which contains none of the objectionable
> > code or "features" which people who don't want systemd are trying to keep
> > away from.
>
> Unix libraries bundle related functionality together so that you can link
> just that which you need. Can you explain how libsystemd0 fits into this
> model? I'm unclear on what set of related functions it provides.

libsystemd0 is, as I've been told, a library that provides the
interfaces provided by systemd without the content. For example,
a typical systemd feature will, as implemented in libsystemd0,
merely report back in the proper manner, that the facility requested
is not available.

As such is it harmless, but allows programs that have only incidental
delendency on systemd to function properly when run without it.

A program can test whether it it running on a systemd system or not
and act properly on either kind of system.

-- hendrik