:: Re: [DNG] What I learned at Distrow…
Author: Simon Walter
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What I learned at Distrowatch
On 2020-12-01 23:59, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 01, 2020 at 03:33:41PM +0100, Antony Stone wrote:
>
>> What, specifically, gets installed as part of Devuan which you don't want to
>> see there?
>
> As an exercise, try doing a minimal install via debootstrap, which is
> arguably the easiest way to tailor an install. I've thus far not managed to
> get an install through without elogind creeping in, even if I explicitly
> mark it as something to ignore. The Devuan live media I use for installs
> runs elogind. It sort of reminds me of the Agent Smith virus speech from
> The Matrix.
>

>> libsystemd0 is a stub library which contains none of the objectionable
>> code or "features" which people who don't want systemd are trying to keep
>> away from.
>
> Unix libraries bundle related functionality together so that you can link
> just that which you need. Can you explain how libsystemd0 fits into this
> model? I'm unclear on what set of related functions it provides.

Unfortunately for those who are scared of source code and perhaps those
who are scared in general, it is all too easy to become paranoid. After
all, you are at the mercy of those who are not scared. I'd say, pick up
programming as a hobby and conquer your fear. Walk with your head high.
Then maybe you'll understand what stub means. The people on this list
are very helpful and welcoming and will even feed trolls. If you are not
one, then educate yourself and stop acting like one.