:: [DNG] Obviousness (was: Let's Encry…
Author: Bernard Rosset
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Obviousness (was: Let's Encrypt (was: snapd in Devuan? Dependency on systemd...))
> It makes me sad that this view is deemed 'contrarian'. As a sysadmin, I
> consider it obvious common sense.

I have no idea if it is contrarian or if it is the silent majority of
opinions. However the opinion being more vocal definitely seems to be
the one encouraging TLS encryption.
The most vocal opinion tend to appear as winning or having won the
ticket... that way of seeing things creates problems if a silent
majority exists and when it suddenly expresses itself. I guess recent
times tried to teach us lessons about that.

If it can help you understanding the world better, there are no such
things as "obvious" nor "common sense". Those are made-up stances which
bring the comfortable and convenient consequence of avoiding debate.

Don't get me wrong: we all are glad to join groups in which at least
part of our opinions are externally validated. It just does not mean
one's right.
There will always be at least one person, amongst the billions crawling
over this planet, having the exact opposite idea... and it does not
imply that person is less sagacious or qualified than you are.

Bernard (Beer) Rosset
https://rosset.net/