:: [DNG] Let's Encrypt (was: snapd in …
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Let's Encrypt (was: snapd in Devuan? Dependency on systemd...)
Quoting Arnt Karlsen (arnt@???):

> ..meanwhile, I too lean towards Ian's contrarianism:
> http://michael.orlitzky.com/articles/lets_not_encrypt.xhtml

I couldn't possibly agree more. Let's Encrypt is a Potemkin Village
approach to the SSL cert problem; it's pretend security that pretends as
if a broken and unreliable CA infrastructure weren't that.

I continue to self-sign only, and if people want to know why they should
trust it, I'll say 'Either (a) don't, or (b) verify the hash with me via
any of a large variety of out-of-band methods, like any sensible person.'
If they counter that they want an automated lock icon on their Web
browsers so they are absolved of the need to think, I say 'Sounds like a
personal problem.'

It makes me sad that this view is deemed 'contrarian'. As a sysadmin, I
consider it obvious common sense.

--
Cheers,                           "2020 is pulling out more plot devices than
Rick Moen                         a TV series on the brink of being canceled."