:: Re: [DNG] snapd in Devuan? Dependen…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Let's Encrypt (was: snapd in Devuan? Dependency on systemd...)
Subject: Re: [DNG] snapd in Devuan? Dependency on systemd...
On Tue, 1 Dec 2020 20:35:16 -0600, o1bigtenor wrote in message
<CAPpdf5-ijdkLc--LALj13zGgxZL12dN5hAPzLVQresuqig1ydQ@???>:

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 6:09 PM Bernard Rosset via Dng
> <dng@???> wrote:
> >
> > Certbot has removed support of certbot-auto for Debian-based systems
> > (cf.
> > https://github.com/certbot/certbot/blob/adacc4ab6dc63b024b17f0ec5adeb1adc9f93300/certbot-auto#L802).

..looks like we should thank them. :o)

> > Official instructions for Debian
> > (https://certbot.eff.org/lets-encrypt/debianbuster-other) tell to
> > use the snapd package (https://packages.debian.org/buster/snapd)...
> > which depends on systemd and has not been rebuilt separately for
> > Devuan yet.
> >
> > Is there any plan to do so?
> > I know making the list of repackaged packages grow is troublesome
> > for maintenance future-wise...
> >

> Greetings
>
> I would suggest that you stay as far as you can form snapd!
> I spent about 8 months working on/with it and in the end was totally
> frustrated.
> After you install snapd - - - - -well canonical will upgrade anything
> AND everything on its schedule. You CANNOT change that! The longest
> file in the forum is individuals asking for an off switch for
> updates. You can push it to about 60 days with some serious tap
> dancing. I tried ALL the options giving to stop the triggered updates
> - - - my machine responded by shutting down. So I didn't get the
> updates but the machine would shut itself off when it was time for
> upgrades. Then I tried to remove the shebang! I tried using $rm -r
> and still had 'crap' hanging around. Got real frustrated with that.
> Left the mess for about a year and then when I tried to restart the
> machine I couldn't get a complete reboot (even using secure boot for
> repair). So I was forced to replace the complete system - - - - a
> right royal pita.
>
> The idea is good (lxd) but snapd - - - - that's toxic!

..I (dis)agree, to me, snapd looks more like an attempt to replace
apt, yum etc packaging systems with pötterisms, rather than an
attempt to help the EFF automate encrypting the web with certbot:
https://github.com/snapcore/snapd
https://github.com/snapcore
https://snapcraft.io/docs
https://snapcraft.io/store

..so Tor is secure under snap? Or, like under systemd?:
https://snapcraft.io/search?category=security

..about certbot:
https://certbot.eff.org/about/
https://certbot.eff.org/docs/intro.html
https://letsencrypt.org/
https://github.com/certbot/certbot

..how does the guys running Slackware, and the *BSDs do this
certbot thing, and how does it work with e.g. Tor?

..meanwhile, I too lean towards Ian's contrarianism:
http://michael.orlitzky.com/articles/lets_not_encrypt.xhtml

Scenarios always come in sets of three: