:: Re: [DNG] snapd in Devuan? Dependen…
Author: o1bigtenor
To: Bernard Rosset
CC: Devuan ML
Subject: Re: [DNG] snapd in Devuan? Dependency on systemd...
On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 6:09 PM Bernard Rosset via Dng
<dng@???> wrote:

> Certbot has removed support of certbot-auto for Debian-based systems
> (cf.
> https://github.com/certbot/certbot/blob/adacc4ab6dc63b024b17f0ec5adeb1adc9f93300/certbot-auto#L802).
>
> Official instructions for Debian
> (https://certbot.eff.org/lets-encrypt/debianbuster-other) tell to use
> the snapd package (https://packages.debian.org/buster/snapd)... which
> depends on systemd and has not been rebuilt separately for Devuan yet.
>
> Is there any plan to do so?
> I know making the list of repackaged packages grow is troublesome for
> maintenance future-wise...

Greetings

I would suggest that you stay as far as you can form snapd!
I spent about 8 months working on/with it and in the end was totally
frustrated.
After you install snapd - - - - -well canonical will upgrade anything AND
everything on its schedule. You CANNOT change that! The longest file in
the forum is individuals asking for an off switch for updates. You can push it
to about 60 days with some serious tap dancing.
I tried ALL the options giving to stop the triggered updates - - - my machine
responded by shutting down. So I didn't get the updates but the machine
would shut itself off when it was time for upgrades.
Then I tried to remove the shebang! I tried using $rm -r and still had 'crap'
hanging around. Got real frustrated with that. Left the mess for about a
year and then when I tried to restart the machine I couldn't get a complete
reboot (even using secure boot for repair). So I was forced to replace the
complete system - - - - a right royal pita.

The idea is good (lxd) but snapd - - - - that's toxic!

HTH