:: Re: [DNG] Linux's sucky cut and pas…
Author: aw
To: dng
CC:
Subject: Re: [DNG] Linux's sucky cut and paste: was: problematic mouse driver?
Moin...

In article <20201118204631.285121bc@???> you write:

>> > Yes. You need to press straight down, with absolutely no hint of
>> > pressure up or down, left or right. Cutting and pasting shouldn't be
>> > this hard.
>>
>> Smells like a hardware problem to me. A click needs to feel like a
>> click, not a breeze.
>
>That's not what I meant. It's just difficult to press down on a wheel
>in such a way that it pushes in rather than rotates, angles to the left
>or right. In other words, on many mice, the physical resistance of
>wheel turning is the same or less than that of pushing it in, which
>requires utmost attention from the user. And don't forget, a mouse can
>both click *and* rotate.

Please, in all your critique of X's mechanism in doing cut&paste remember,
that all this worked quite well until around 2000, when (mostly) KDE and
Gnome started to try to make Linux more and more like Windows and ignoring
and sidelining established mechanisms.

This of course was not improved by the introduction of the mouse wheel
instead of the middle mouse button (which the other 2 do not use).

So, what about introducing a patch suppressing any mouse wheel rotation
while clicking - if that is not already configurable...

>Thanks to all of you who gave me information. I feel much more
>comfortable using Linux cut and paste than I did when I woke up this
>morning.

I knew about these details somewhere in the back of my brain for a long
time - although I never really needed them as long as most applications
behaved consistently.

What about standardizing around the old X interface and collecting
information about programs behaving correct along these lines?

cu

AW
--
[...] If you don't want to be restricted, don't agree to it. If you are
coerced, comply as much as you must to protect yourself, just don't support