:: Re: [DNG] Linux's sucky cut and pas…
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Linux's sucky cut and paste: was: problematic mouse driver?
Ludovic Bellière - 18.11.20, 10:11:12 CET:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 19:07:06 -0500
>
> Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 08:16:11 -0500
> > Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:
> >
> > Other than deliberate exclusion of Linux users by Microsoft and
> > their
> > henchmen, the only area I've seen where Windows is better than Linux
> > is cut and paste. On Windows, it's Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, and IIRC that
> > works seamlessly on both CLI and GUI. On Linux, it can be Ctrl+C
> > and Ctrl+V, or highlight and middle mouse button (be sure to press
> > and not turn at all), or menu edit and paste, or who knows what
> > else. I hate, hate, HATE it: It deeply cuts into my daily workflow.
>
> Whenever you select something, the content is then sent to the PRIMARY
> selection. As such, selecting text would be the equivalent of MS
> Windows's CTRL-C. Content is then accessed using the middle mouse
> button.
>
> Whenever the user specifically request the content to be copied, with
> CTRL-C, the content would then be sent to the CLIPBOARD selection.
> Accessed then using CTRL-V.
>
> There can be any number of selections (ie. buffers containing your
> data), but we usually needs to take care of only three: PRIMARY,
> SECONDARY and CLIPBOARD.

Plasma's Klipper has a functionality to unify some of this. It is an
option to unify clipboard and actual selection. I bet this may refer to
CLIPBOARD and PRIMARY selection.

I enabled this option and it works most of the time. It is still not
perfect though.

I heard that with Wayland there is just one clipboard.

I also really like the functionality that Klipper can store the last N
selections or clipboard entries and I can still access them. You can
also delete all of just one selection, for example if you copied a
password.

Best,
--
Martin