:: Re: [DNG] XFCE in Beowulf confuses …
Author: terryc
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] XFCE in Beowulf confuses left and right
On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 05:43:36 -0600
o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 3:36 PM terryc <terryc@???> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 11:56:33 +0100
> > kernel panic! <team@???> wrote:
> >
> > > Update!
> > >
> > > I "dig" through my Backup(s) - Bingo! I found a File
> > > *dualmonitor.sh*
> > >
> > > I put it back to/home/$USER/.screenlayout/dualmonitor.sh
> > >
> > > Logout from XFCE, login back.... nothing happens
> > >
> > > Folder    .screenlayout =    drwxr-xr-x
> > > File    dualmonitor.sh = -rwx------

> > > maybe it is someone of the permissions?
> > >
> > > desperate
> > > Michael

> > Do you have arandr loaded?
> > This isn't a soluton, but 'works' for me, YMMV.
> > In xfce -. right click -> Applications -> Settings -> Display
> > Identify the displays.
> > Set which one you want to be the primary.
> > Make sure it the other is not set as primary.
> > Drag each screen around to the L/R, or up/down relation ship you
> > want. Note, depending on the hardware you have, you can also set
> > resolution and refresh rates.
> >
> > What doesn't work for me is the every morning, I then have a pop up
> > that asks e to chose between mirror or extend right, then I have to
> > close two popups.
> >
> > What is in your dual-monitor.sh?
> >
> My system runs about 80 to 90 days before I need to reboot.
> Am running 4 monitors.
> I use xrandr to set up my monitors.

How are you doing that?
Writing /etc/X11/Xorg.conf(?)

> Took a while to figure out. Now fairly easy.
> Two monitors would be real easy - - its once you add more
> than one graphics card that things get a bit more interesting.

What cards do you have installed and what drivers are you using?
I have two AMD cards and one(R7 240) requires the Radeon driver, but the
other(RX 580 wants the AMDGPU.

I think it was easier in 'the olde times' before all this automated
display setting crept in. Although working out all the modelines for
changing display resolution was interesting when you had four unique
monitors running on four display cards, which I did once for an
exercise.