:: Re: [DNG] Is t worth the effort for…
Author: Simon Hobson
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] à chacun son goût (was: Is it worth the effort for SPF, DMARC, DKIM, etc.?)
Subject: Re: [DNG] Is t worth the effort for SPF?, DMARC>, DKIM?, etc
Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:

> My response inevitably is that I really couldn't
> care less whether they like SPF or not. ...

May I respectfully pick you up on that one.

Regardless of the arguments for and against which have been done to death for long enough, SPF did predictably break email in many ways - some of which I used to use, and some which my clients used to use. In a small way, by implementing SPF yourself, you've added to the support for something that broke existing LEGITIMATE mail activities. So your approach has a hint of "I don't do that, so I don't care about the people who do and now find it broken".

OK, in reality it doesn't make one jot of difference since the "big guys" had already taken the attitude that they don't g.a.s. about what they break for others, but still it's supporting something that takes away others' freedoms in a small way.

Hmm, didn't Devuan come into being partly due to someone pushing a policy of not caring what he breaks for other people ? Sorry, that was a bit below the belt but I hope it illustrates the issue. Luckily the breakages with email have (mostly) been easier to deal with than those that caused Devuan to exist.

Simon