:: [DNG] Network configuration (was Re…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Ian Zimmerman
CC: dng
Subject: [DNG] Network configuration (was Re: Danger: Debian POSIX hostility)
Hi Ian,

Ian Zimmerman writes:

> On 2020-09-17 20:34, Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng wrote:
>
>> apt install netplug wpasupplicant ifupdown
>
> I happen to dislike ifupdown almost as much as NetworkManager. It is a
> poorly documented opaque mess. The fact that it's a debian invention
> (AFAIK) and not an import from RH-land is about the only significant
> point in its favor.

I guess if I had to start with ifupdown anew, then perhaps yes I'd be a
bit overwhelmed by all the bells and whistles. I have been using it
pretty much from the beginning and I just skip the bits I don't need.

> The most straightforward networking setup these days, IMO, is just
> running a global instance (ie. not per-interface) of dhcpcd. dhcpcd is
> quite smart enough to do such things as bringing iterfaces "up" and
> setting up routes by itself. It can even spawn wpasupplicant kids when
> necessary.

Can dhcpcd also execute "arbitrary" commands when bringing up and taking
down interfaces? I recently had a need to spoof a MAC address for my
wireless interface, for example, and I like to hang interface specific
iptables/nftables rules onto my interfaces when/if they're up.

Hope this helps,