:: Re: [DNG] Danger: Debian POSIX host…
Author: golinux
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Danger: Debian POSIX hostility
On 2020-09-12 15:28, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think Devuan might want to "put back" POSIX commands Debian has
> removed (but provides packages for). See the following thread from
> Debian-User:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2020/09/msg00334.html
>
> Lennart Poettering has repeatedly and with certainty let us know he has
> no use for POSIX. I guess now the Debian project is acting as his proxy
> in this matter.
>
> Did you notice the one guy who said it would be "it would be 'rude' to
> impose something wanted by only a part of the users"?
>
> Personally, if my operating system doesn't come, as a baseline, with
> vi, ed, cut, grep, sed, awk, bc, dc, diff, dd, df, du, fg, head, tail,
> and the like, then it isn't an OS I'd want to use. The fact that an OS
> isn't certified POSIX is no excuse for deliberately leaving out easily
> included POSIX programs and features.
>
> Is it possible for Devuan to "put back" what Debian sabotaged?
>
> Thanks,
>
> SteveT

Probably. Are you going to volunteer to do/oversee that? That would be
the best way to ensure that it happens.

This article was posted on irc a few days ago. It might, in part,
explain why packages/features are being dropped from Debian. If Debian
can't find developers, what do you think Devuan's future holds?

DPL: Debian project has plenty of money but not enough developers
Project leader Jonathan Carter explains problems facing this key Linux
distro
https://www.theregister.com/2020/09/10/debian_project_address/

Beyond Debian/Devuan, this is a challenge for the future of
community-provided free software.

golinux