:: Re: [DNG] Can this drive be saved?
Author: golinux
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Can this drive be saved?
On 2020-09-04 22:33, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 09:19:42PM -0500, golinux@??? wrote:
>> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
>> SMART Status command failed: scsi error medium or hardware error
>> (serious)
>> SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
>> Warning: This result is based on an Attribute check.
>
> You said this is a USB attached drive. That probably showed up
> because the USB bridge doesn't support passing a given SMART
> command(s) to the drive.

Thanks for the explanation.

>> SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
>> Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
>> ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
>> UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE

> --- snip ---
>
>>   5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   199   199   140    Pre-fail
>> Always       -       1

> So we know that one sector was reallocated. Whether that happened when
> e2fsck attempted to write to it, or earlier, we don't know.

Yes we do! I checked a log I had saved from before I did the e2fsck and
those values are identical to the post-e2fsck log.

>> 196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   199   199   000    Old_age
>> Always       -       1
>> 197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age
>> Always       -       0
>> 198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age
>> Offline      -       0

> Other than that one sector, the rest of the drive looks to be useable
> so far.

I'll try to get the content on the drive archived over the weekend and
ready for long-term storage.

>> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
>> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
>> LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
>> # 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%        55
>>       -

> Again, that confirms to me the drive reallocated one bad sector, and
> the rest of it seems to be OK so far.

YEA!

>> SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
>>  SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
>>     1        0        0  Not_testing
>>     2        0        0  Not_testing
>>     3        0        0  Not_testing
>>     4        0        0  Not_testing
>>     5        0        0  Not_testing
>> Selective self-test flags (0x0):

> You asked about this in an earlier message. The selective test portion
> is used to report the status of the automatic testing the drive does
> by itself if that's enabled, and your smartctl output shows that
> automatic self tests are enabled on your drive. All the above says is
> that the drive isn't running automatic self tests right now, so nothing
> worry about here.

Got it. Your comments have been helpful. Thanks.

golinux