:: Re: [DNG] Can this drive be saved?
Author: Gregory Nowak
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Can this drive be saved?
On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 09:19:42PM -0500, golinux@??? wrote:
> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
> SMART Status command failed: scsi error medium or hardware error (serious)
> SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
> Warning: This result is based on an Attribute check.

You said this is a USB attached drive. That probably showed up
because the USB bridge doesn't support passing a given SMART
command(s) to the drive.

> SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
> Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
> ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE

--- snip ---

>   5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   199   199   140    Pre-fail  Always       -       1

So we know that one sector was reallocated. Whether that happened when
e2fsck attempted to write to it, or earlier, we don't know.

> 196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   199   199   000    Old_age   Always       -       1
> 197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
> 198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0

Other than that one sector, the rest of the drive looks to be useable
so far.

> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
> # 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%        55         -

Again, that confirms to me the drive reallocated one bad sector, and
the rest of it seems to be OK so far.

> SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
>  SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
>     1        0        0  Not_testing
>     2        0        0  Not_testing
>     3        0        0  Not_testing
>     4        0        0  Not_testing
>     5        0        0  Not_testing
> Selective self-test flags (0x0):

You asked about this in an earlier message. The selective test portion
is used to report the status of the automatic testing the drive does
by itself if that's enabled, and your smartctl output shows that
automatic self tests are enabled on your drive. All the above says is
that the drive isn't running automatic self tests right now, so nothing to
worry about here.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net