:: Re: [DNG] Can this drive be saved?
Author: Simon Walter
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Can this drive be saved?
On 9/5/20 1:34 AM, Andreas Messer wrote:
> Hi golinux,
>
> On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 01:50:07AM -0500, golinux@??? wrote:
>> On 2020-09-01 00:07, golinux@??? wrote:
>> [...]
>> I have no idea how reliable the repaired drive is after this radical
>> surgery. Can it be written to or files deleted? Should I even try?
>> [...]
>
> I wouldn't use a drive anymore which has started reallocating
> sectors, well which has reallocated sectors all.

It's on it's way out for sure.

However, I am interested in how you are able to know that sectors on
golinux's disk have been relocated - from the information provided to
this mailing list. I know it's possible to see that in the SMART data,
but I didn't see that posted. Are short reads always surface errors?

Best regards,

Simon