:: Re: [DNG] Can this drive be saved?
Author: Gregory Nowak
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Can this drive be saved?
On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 03:03:55PM -0500, golinux@??? wrote:
> This particular drive has no data that is not backed up elsewhere so I am
> comfortable experimenting with it a bit as a learning experience. OTOH,
> trashing the remaining life it has for no reason wouldn't make sense.

You're not alone in that line of reasoning. I also use drives with
reallocated sectors. I however do make sure I take frequent backups of
those drives as I've stated in this thread before. I also verify the
new backups before deleting the old to make sure I haven't backed up
bad data. While some of the drives I've had died almost right away
after starting to reallocate sectors, others are still doing fine so
far years later.

If drives grew on trees I might not be taking this approach. Since
they don't grow on trees, and since I like to squeeze the last drop
out of things I own before recycling them (including cell phones and computers),
this is the approach I personally take. Others have disagreed with
this approach, and others will likely continue to disagree. I would
also add my voice to those who suggested doing a long SMART test. Good luck.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1